“My Door’s Always Open”
- Undermined Keith’s on-boarding process i.e. establishing Keith as the new department leader.
- Ensured that Megan would focus her energy and loyalty on building her relationship with Nigel rather than Keith.
- Created a “stalemate” (who’s the boss?) situation that would undermine progress and productivity in the department.
- Sent a message to all front-line workers that they could bypass their manager and take issues directly to their manager’s manager.
- Builds the employee’s loyalty to his manager.
- Demonstrates to the rest of the team that the manager is a strong advocate for his team.
- Lets the front-line know that the way to get new opportunities is to work through their manager.
- Builds loyalty to you at all levels of your organization.